Taking your Grandchildren to the ‘Pictures’ can be an exciting day out. But how do [...]
Free Family Activities at the National Museum of the Royal Navy (Portsmouth)Created by Verity in Things to do
Situated in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, there the National Museum of the Royal Navy has plenty of free family activities suitable for all age groups throughout the year. From storytelling, sale art and crafts and shipbuilding to special Pirate-themed arena events, capsule there are always amazing discoveries for children and their grown-ups to experience and enjoy.
2014 will see the arrival of our new HMS-Hear My Story galleries that will tell the undiscovered stories from the ordinary men, women and ships which have made the Navy‘s amazing history over the last 100 years, the century of greatest change. We will also be commemorating the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War in 1914 with age appropriate family activities and storytelling.
JOIN US as we combine learning about the history and future of the Royal Navy with fun and exciting activities…
During the School holiday, our Learning Centre comes alive every Wednesday with free drop in Navy themed craft activities, perfect for fitting around a visit to HMS Victory or the new Mary Rose Museum. Highlights from 2013 include:
- Treasure island and Pirate Encounters Activities
- Creating oceans in bottles to take home
- Trying out Morse code and semaphore
- Our massive LEGO Shipbuilder’s event which saw 466 children and their adults build 184 ships in 4 hours. All were entered into a design competition for ships of the future, with the winners selected by the Commanding Officer of HMS Victory.
- Creepy Crawly Encounters to meet the creatures that stow away and live on ships…
These are joined by our wonderful Arena Events such as Armed Forces Day and 2013s Navy Neverland, Peter Pan Themed Fun Day.
We also have dedicated free Under 5 sessions running throughout the year. The Cabin Club takes place on one Friday a month with free drop in sessions of soft play, water play, dressing up and age-appropriate arts and crafts in our Cabin Family Play Area, completed with plenty of toys, play ships, cuddly toys, books and puzzles. During August, Telescope Tales takes over with free drop in sessions of play and storytelling every Friday. Our water-play ships, HMS Puddle and HMS Splash are regular attendees for our summer activities, keeping everyone cool.
HMS Victory plays host to regular free family activities throughout the year with dressing up, object handling and re-enactment. A valid ticket for HMS Victory is required and can be purchased from Portsmouth Historic Dockyard.
Further details of all of our upcoming activities can be found on the National Museum of the Royal Navy at http://www.nmrn.org.uk/learning/families-and-children and http://www.nmrn.org.uk/news-events/events
Or contact the Learning Officer for Early Years & Families on 02392 727587, firstname.lastname@example.org. We operate mailing lists for our activities so please do get in contact if you would like to be kept informed of all our fantastic activities and events…
Reviews of our Free Family activities…
- “Toby absolutely adores coming here. It’s a fabulous mix of creativity and play”
- “Thank you so much. It was very good- my girls don’t want to go home now…they had a wonderful time”
- “Kids really enjoyed making the ‘sea in a bottle’. Fab Ideas”
Contributed by the National Museum of the Royal Navy