Grannynet  

Go Back   THE FORUM > TOPICS > Book Club - Grandchildren's > February, Grandchildren's Book Club: 'Opal Moonbaby' by Maudie Smith
Login

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Lifer

This was a favourite with the nine year old who has just finished reading it. The best aspect of the book, she said, was the theme of friendship which looms so very large with girls of this age, with their best frends, fallings out and makings up and the subtle and not so subtle ways of making each other's lives a misery.

She and her friend really enjoyed the language play which is an ingenious way of describing and chronicling Opal's newly acquired English language skills. This is another theme which runs through the book and which will delight newly competant readers.

S raised the issue of the unlikelihood of a nine and a seven year old being allowed to work in a salon. Even at her age she is well aware of health and safety regulations, but she was willing to suspend her scepticism for this as well as for the fantasy element of an alien visitor. This is an idea which has been used on a number of occasions before (there is a notorious Y5 test paper * which features an alien visitor who takes language literally) and Y5s will therefore be familiar with the device, but possibly, this will make the format accessible.

It's good too that the book is illustrated. All too often as soon as children begin to read 'chapter books' they are produced sans illustrations, so it's good to see these very high quality pictures really enhancing the text.

Aliens to Earth by Helen Johnson. Orion Books 1997

Last edited by Sum1Lse; 04-04-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Lifer

Default book

My g/d is 6yrs. So my daughter has put it by for later. I had a quick dip and I. also thought it un-realistic. that children could be allowed into the salon.
Delphina

Ps What is the average Age of the g/c mentioned on Grannynet?

Last edited by delphina; 04-04-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:47 AM

Question

I was just wondering if there will be a book for us to review for the 5 and unders? I find it hard to contribute much to this thread, as I always have to pass on the book, then hear second hand what other peoples GC think!

My GD is 3 and a half. She enjoys quite complex stories, but not as advanced
as the last 2, which have been for the 7+ age group
delphina and Brambley Apple like this.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:00 AM

Default Opal Moonbaby by Maudie Smith

Opal Moonbaby, by Maudie Smith is essentially a book about friendship which is tested to the limit by its protagonists.
Martha and her brother, Robbie live in a small town and lead normal lives until Opal descends to earth from planet Carnelia and has quickly to become an earthling – on pain of death if matters go awry. There are heart-stopping moments: will Opal live or die? However, her friendship with the marvellous Martha steers her through some difficult times
Maudie Smith brings the character of Martha to life and one can imagine the horror Martha feels as her friendship with best friend Chloe is slowly sucked dry by the calculating Colette. Fear not, dear Reader, as one knows that Colette will receive her comeuppance at some time in the future…..
Opal’s fledgling use of English is a delight to children who can share in the play on words running throughout the book, indeed they feel very pleased with themselves when realising an incorrect word has been used – a good ploy, perhaps, for reluctant readers.
The charming illustrations by Gillian Johnson very much enhance the book bringing the characters springing to life, however I would have loved to have seen what Alesha, the hairdresser looked like too!
A good choice of for children (particularly but not exclusively girls) aged in the 6 -10 year age group.

Please note that my copy had a few typographical errors in the first few chapters: words were strung together.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:54 PM
Lifer

My great nieces enjoyed the book thank you. They liked the idea of making special friends.
Didn't get much more out of them I'm afraid!
They're 7 and 9 years old, but I think they're more into dancing/acting /singing than sitting down and reading!
GH
Old 06-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Admin @ the attic

Thank you for your comments - sounds like lots of enjoyment went on of this special book.

The winners of the next Opal Moonbaby book and a poster are mishap, Enid and Granny Haggis so congratulations to them and your prizes will be winging their way to you soon.

Have lovely weekends - hope it's sunny with you!

Charlotte
Old 06-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Lifer

What a nice surprise. S will be delighted. Thank you.
Old 16-03-2015, 09:08 PM
Resident

Wow, what a heart touching and heart warming story of friendship. And the funny situation and humour is really amazing in this book. It is the favourite book of my GD and I couldn't resist reading it and I will recommend every mother and grandmother to buy it for their kids and grand kids.