Grannynet  

Go Back   THE FORUM > TOPICS > Diet and exercise
Login

Like Tree143Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13-01-2014, 08:57 PM
Lifer

Gilly you could never have said a truer word I find SW very difficult to follow but I rejoined last week because I got a voucher for free registration out of a paper,last year I lost 2.8st on it but things feel tight after xmas treats etc,not to mention puddings and sweets ggrrr!!.
I have found the dreaded hola-hoop for a wee bit of excercise but have been bothered with a touch of back problems these last few days (nothing serious) so intend to walk alot more this next few weeks and get back to normal.The dark dank weather doesn't help matters does it gives you no inspiration at all.

Gilly, nannamichelle and Nannynou like this.
Old 13-01-2014, 09:41 PM
Lifer

Gilly - MADE YOU EAT CHOCOLATE? Yep right
Old 13-01-2014, 09:48 PM
Lifer

I'm going to give the 5:2 diet a go as well! I put weight on after having children (last one 28 years ago!) and I've been trying to get rid of the excess weight since then!
You are right Glam, the dark days make it hard to get motivated, but I would like to be able to sit without my fav trousers cutting me in half! So going to try fasting Thursdays and Mondays having said that, I haven't done it today. I need to get my head in the right mindset for this!
Old 14-01-2014, 12:12 AM
Lifer

You're so right NN, its our headspace that makes it difficult to sustain the healthy eating. We all know what we should and shouldn't do but our emotions often have us eating when we're not hungry or having oversize portions, well that's what I do anyway .I have also struggled to maintain a healthy weight since my daughters birth 25 yrs ago. Too much yoyo dieting over the years. I'm now refusing to go on a weight loss diet. I have made a lot of changes, 1 or 2 at a time, over the last 4 or so years that have now become preferences, which is great! I weighed 76kg (167lb) when I started and I'm under 68kg (150lb) now. I'm working on a few more now and am resigned to the fact that weight loss for me is very, very slow and weight regain is very, very quick so I have to make permanent changes a little at a time so it doesn't all get too hard. I have lost 2kg (about 4lb) since Dec 18th without really thinking too much about it, now I just have to maintain the motivation to not slip. For my health I need to get down below 60kg. I hope the next 8kg doesn't take 4 years though I have heard that the 5:2 way of eating works really well though, I guess its not really a weight loss diet, more of a lifestyle change?

Last edited by nannamichelle; 14-01-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 14-01-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannynou View Post
I'm going to give the 5:2 diet a go as well! I put weight on after having children (last one 28 years ago!) and I've been trying to get rid of the excess weight since then!
You are right Glam, the dark days make it hard to get motivated, but I would like to be able to sit without my fav trousers cutting me in half! So going to try fasting Thursdays and Mondays having said that, I haven't done it today. I need to get my head in the right mindset for this!
Nannynou - I read this and thought "but it isn't Thursday today, what's she worrying about"!!!

I can lose weight it I don't have to cook for other people! I'm quite happy with salads etc but never give up wine or mayonnaise! But OH has put on a lot of weight recently so we both need to lose a few pounds (well, a stone and a half for me!) It's hard when we've still got half a Christmas cake and several boxes of choccies. I know I could just throw them out, but it seems a waste!
Old 14-01-2014, 12:39 AM
Lifer

Oh JG, I would never give up my wine either but I am trying to be more mindful of how much I have I have still lost weight by having no more than 2 choccies a day if I feel like chocolate, we got quite a bit as gifts and it would be awfully ungrateful to not eat and enjoy them!
Old 14-01-2014, 12:47 AM

NM - I think you're absolutely right - portion control is king. One or two choccies is ok but most of the box isn't!!
Old 14-01-2014, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glammanana View Post
Gilly you could never have said a truer word I find SW very difficult to follow but I rejoined last week because I got a voucher for free registration out of a paper,last year I lost 2.8st on it but things feel tight after xmas treats etc,not to mention puddings and sweets.
I have found the dreaded hola-hoop for a wee bit of excercise but have been bothered with a touch of back problems these last few days (nothing serious) so intend to walk alot more this next few weeks and get back to normal.The dark dank weather doesn't help matters does it gives you no inspiration at all.

Yes Glammanana, Yeah, someone else who struggled with the bits and pieces Congrats on your weight loss last year though That's what I was hoping to lose, and I don't exercise as such but rush around like a blue ***** fly although I did walk for miles in the sun today. I have a weigh in tomorrow and I know I will be one of her worse gals, oh dear.
glammanana likes this.
Old 14-01-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizzyb View Post
Gilly - MADE YOU EAT CHOCOLATE? Yep right
I know I know I did try to resist but she found a hidden cache of quality street.....and OH was filling his face, Keira was doing the same and my mouth was watering so I ate 6 of the darned things and then tried to starve the next day which did absolutely no good at all!
Jane Jackson and glammanana like this.
Old 14-01-2014, 10:37 AM
Lifer

I absolutely agree that we all know what we should and shouldn't eat etc but it is about getting into the correct mindset.
Keeping the portion down is also the way forward.
I gave up smoking over 30 years ago, but it is so much harder to lose weight, for me anyway.
You can avoid cigarettes but you just can't avoid food.
An enormous amount of 2lbs have gone this week, nearly a bag of sugar!
I am aiming next week for a bag of potatoes, not to eat, obviously
Jane