Grannynet  

Go Back   THE FORUM > TOPICS > Diet and exercise
Login

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20-10-2014, 09:44 PM
Lifer

We often deliberately cook extra rice, mash, pasta etc. and keep them in the fridge or freezer. It saves time when we have both been busy during the day. I did hear about rice not being great when reheated but we nuke it. Also apparently putting onions in the fridge and reusing is not supposed to be good for you but I chop mine in a mini chopper and keep it in a clip box until I need to use it. never been poisoned so far .......
Gilly likes this.
Old 20-10-2014, 09:51 PM

Tizzy - I hadn't heard that storing onions in the fridge was 'dangerous'. Does it mean raw or cooked onion? I often put half a peeled onion the the salad compartment because a whole onion in a dish for 2 people is too much, and it's nice to have a ready peeled supply when I'm in a hurry.

Thinking about potatoes being cooled and reheated, does anyone else think they have a funny taste when they've been reheated, or is it just me?
pilates and Gilly like this.
Old 21-10-2014, 12:28 AM

Tizzy is right IMHO. Nuke rice extra in Microwave, and it should be fine.
Old 21-10-2014, 01:08 AM
Lifer

JG raw onions.

reheated potatoes: if mash I put them just mashed with no additions I.e. Butter/milk/cream/eggs etc. and add those when used. I don't at all like reheated jacket pots if they have just been nuked. If originally done in the oven and kept in the fridge I would redo them in the oven with a handful of water over the skin (a bit like when you do Naan bread) and the they don't taste yuk. I detest the JPs you get In restaurants esp pub restaurants because they will have been nuked hours before and just left so lose their flavour.

Dear me for a founder member of the sluts club I do appear to know a lot about this cooking lark.....