Grannynet  

Go Back   THE FORUM > TOPICS > Diet and exercise
Login

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-09-2014, 02:00 PM
Lifer

It does seem that you need a really good (therefore expensive) juicer to make it worthwhile. I am not sure that I would keep it up for long enough to justify the cost.
plantaholic and Gilly like this.
Old 22-09-2014, 06:13 PM

Our is a Philips, it was reduced in Argo to £55 from £99 and is very sturdy.
Old 23-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Lifer

Still can't see the point of a juicer , far better eating veg than fruit anyway , for you 5 a day or whatever it has to be a portion of five different fruit or veg , juicing it and swigging it in one doesn't do much for your digestive tract , soup seems a better option .
Old 23-09-2014, 05:59 PM

Well Aggie, I have a Nutritional qualification, and there is plenty of evidence on the Web to tell everyone how healthy juicing is. Of course you should try to eat veg and fruit also. I wouldn't bother doing this if I hadn't researched it properly.

And have an OH at home who loves doing his special job every morning

Great thing is about green juice pulp it can be made into delicious soups. So you lose nothing. Fruit pulp makes smoothies which the GK's love. It takes about 10 minutes to wash the fruit and veg and to juice them and the non electric parts of the machine go into the dishwasher.

You probably won't have time to read these links, but here you are anyway!

The real benefits of juicing - Telegraph

Juice Master - Jason Vale: Juice Diet, Juicing, Fusion Juicer, Juice Recipes, Rebounders

Juicing: How Healthy Is It for Your Health?

If you ever feel like it’s difficult to eat enough veggies, making a small investment in a high-quality juicer is one of the best steps you can take for your health. Raw juice can be likened to a "living broth," as it is teeming with micronutrients that many people are lacking.

When you drink fresh-made green juice, it is almost like receiving an intravenous infusion of vitamins, minerals, and enzymes because they go straight into your system without having to be broken down.

Drinking your juice first thing in the morning can give you a natural energy boost without resorting to stimulants like coffee. Since the juice is already in an easily digestible form, it can help revitalize your energy levels within as little as 20 minutes… and this is only the beginning of its benefits.
Beth likes this.
Old 23-09-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantaholic View Post
I bought a juicer for my DD's family, they sold it on EBay a month ago, such a faff. I might buy myself a soup maker.
I do love my soup maker Plant. I'm not much for gadgets really, but this is worth its weight in gold. I can make yummy soups quickly and easily (and cheaply, just throwing any of thing in )

Old 24-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Lifer

I use a pressure cooker to make soup and it is nice and quick and tasty . I am told the quicker veg is cooked the better , more vitamins etc are kept . I did try the juicing and innumerable concoctions made but I didn't feel much better so I grab a tomato or banana or stick of celery and chomp on it , maybe when the old choppers give up a juicer will be resurrected
Beth and plantaholic like this.