Grannynet  

Go Back   THE FORUM > TOPICS > Gardening
Login

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-02-2015, 06:46 PM

Smile Signs of spring!

We have 2 trees in our garden. An apple tree in the back, a flowering cherry in the front. Both give beautiful blossom, which I love.
Each January and February I am on 'bud watch'. The flowering cherry is in front of the bedroom window. I am constantly commenting to OH on the appearance of these buds. At first I am never sure if I am imagining them, then I am sure, and I watch them from day today. Now they are really there
Out today we saw lots of buds on all sorts of trees, in various stages.

Spring is coming!
jeangenie, Pimms and Grauntie Mag like this.

Old 15-02-2015, 07:25 PM
Lifer

We noticed a lot of crocus peeking through grass verges around hear , the trees behind our house are in bud too and our cheeky Squirrel was out today it seems early for him to be around usually only see him when trees are in leaf
plantaholic likes this.
Old 15-02-2015, 07:38 PM
Lifer

I have loads of snowdrops and my lovely little crocus are just putting their yellow little heads above the grass. We have more than we ever had before and I put it down to the hated trees being gone. Hope my quince tree thrives now it is not under the shadow of the trees,
Beth, plantaholic and Pimms like this.
Old 16-02-2015, 11:34 AM
Lifer

We can walk through the park to our shops and it is full of snowdrops & crocus popping out looks lovely,my daffs in the front pots look nice and strong this year they have come on so fast this past week,I think I shall leave thinking about replanting my hanging baskets for another month as where they hang they could just catch some frost,but Spring is certainly on its way
Beth likes this.
Old 16-02-2015, 03:49 PM
Lifer

Not today it isn't!!! Raining and miserable! Managed to get doggo out for his second walk before the rain started, he's now asleep in the lounge!
Old 16-02-2015, 07:13 PM
Lifer

The mini daffs in my window boxes are all opening , certainly cheers me up
Beth likes this.
Old 16-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Lifer

A Camellia I moved last year has been in bloom for a week or two now and a good old Hebe still flowering away...
Can't grow snow drops for love nor money. I have tried in three different gardens. I must put the fluence on them.
Old 16-02-2015, 07:32 PM
Lifer

We planted lots of daffs but not many are coming up and those that are on,y seem to be leaves and no flowers
Old 16-02-2015, 09:27 PM

My crocuses, newly planted in pots last year, are nearly over. They're sort of striped yellow ones. The first daffodil bud opened into a flower today, despite the weather! The iris reticulata have been in full flower for about 3 weeks now and still going strong. Snowdrops have been out for 2 weeks, but not such a good display this year, and I don't know why.

Several herbaceous plants are pushing up new growth - let's hope they don't get knocked back by bad weather. The worst thing is that the grass is growing and it's far too wet to cut it!
plantaholic likes this.
Old 17-02-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grauntie Mag View Post
A Camellia I moved last year has been in bloom for a week or two now and a good old Hebe still flowering away...
Can't grow snow drops for love nor money. I have tried in three different gardens. I must put the fluence on them.
Neither can we GM!!! A friend who is coming to lunch tomorrow is bringing a clump from her garden - one last try!!