Login

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Sum1Lse
  • 1 Post By pilates
  • 1 Post By tizzyb
  • 2 Post By Pollypin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-02-2014, 08:55 PM

Default Grandson of 9 Months wont eat solids or drink from baby cup!

Please has anyone got any ideas? My daughter has to return to work in about four weeks. M is 9 months old and breastfed. My daughter has been trying baby-led weaning and has also tried spoon feeding. M clamps his lips together and turns his head, if any food should eventually get into his mouth he spits it out or gags. He also throws the spoons he has to hold on the floor, they never go in his mouth! He also refuses to drink from a baby-cup, ordinary cup, spoon and so on and always refused a bottle as did my children when they were young. She is very calm with him and doesn't get flustered. Do any of the Grandma's have any hints or tips, I would be so grateful. Thank you.
Old 23-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Lifer

BLW is very good. But I think you just have to put a whole variety of food in front of them and then get on with your own cup of tea and not mind the mess!

Of course if baby is getting all the nourishment he needs from mik then he won't be feeling hungry. Miss out a bottle feed and let him get on with it. They don't need spoons. Just eat with their fingers.
Old 23-02-2014, 09:46 PM
Lifer

Just realised he's breastfed. When his mummy isn't there and the boobs are not available then I think it won't be a problem.
Pollypin likes this.
Old 23-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Lifer

I agree with Enid, put some soft colourful food in front and curiosity will take over.

My eldest and youngest GC were weaned that way - middle GS was/is a poorly child so we have no rules.
Old 23-02-2014, 10:28 PM
Lifer

Does he eat finger foods? I think at 9 months he will be able to hold and suck/chew on suitable foods to get him used to different tastes apart from breast milk.An assortment put in front of him and then left to his own devices(keeping a surreptious eye on him of course) might encourage him to experiment.
Sweettums likes this.
Old 23-02-2014, 10:29 PM
Lifer

Snap Pilates
pilates likes this.
Old 24-02-2014, 12:01 AM

My DD went back to work when my breastfed GS was 11 months old. He would not take formula at all. It wasn't a problem for me however, as he was eating a lot of solid food and drank water from a cup. He just got his milk when mummy was there

I don't have any useful suggestion for your little one who refuses solids or drinks apart from the breast though, Sue5 ! All I can say is hopefully he will realise there isn't the breast option, and will have something. If not I don't see how his mother can return to work!
What does she think? If you are worried she certainly must be.
Good luck with this!

Old 24-02-2014, 12:29 AM

Hi Sue and welcome.

My DI2L did BLW with her first daughter. She just put food in front of her and let her experiment. Sooner or later some of it found its way into her mouth. She's planning to do the same with the new baby.

Have you tried sitting him in his high chair at the table and eating your meal? Don't put any food in front of him but let him grab food from your plate while you're eating. Children learn by imitation and I'm sure that will encourage him.

One of my sons wouldn't drink from a bottle or baby cup - he went straight to ordinary mugs with no problem.
Old 26-02-2014, 06:50 PM
Lifer

My grandson was 6 months and breastfed when his mummy returned to work one day per week leaving him with me. He hated the bottle and we tried many sorts of nipple - so I used a syringe to give him milk his mummy had expressed. Gradually with time and patience he found a bottle he could manage and now takes a sippy cup. We have introduced him to mashed and liquidised food and also he likes to help himself to different finger foods we put on the tray of his highchair. He is still breastfed. Plus he has follow on milk during the day when he is with me. The main thing is not to get stressed, he will eat/drink eventually. Sometimes you just have to wait until they are ready to move to the next step themselves. I'm sure it will all work out in the end.
Beth and tizzyb like this.
Old 26-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Lifer

I seem to remember my GS1 was much the same though I hadn't moved up here so it was down to other grandma and DD1. It must have worked out ok as he is a happy healthy 8 year old who will try any kind of food at least once!