Grannynet  

Go Back   THE FORUM > TOPICS > Sleeping
Login

Like Tree108Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Lifer

Default Baby sleeping

When out with DIL and having a coffee she asked about babies waking each other up and mentioned what they sleep in moses basket downstairs and she wouldn't be able to move around. Now I remember when you could leave babies in their prams in the garden I can even remember passing terrace houses with no gardens and babies were in their prams on the pavement of course we cant do that anymore, but I said to her put them in their cots they will sleep a couple of hrs and you can have a rest too or catch up with chores. She was surprised that they would be out of sight but I remember babies sleeping with curtains drawn on an afternoon and those 2 hrs peace were heaven it seems to have gone now my DD had my g/d sleeping in a bouncy chair, the settee, or the moses cot when tiny and in the pram in the house but never in the cot how we have changed
Old 06-04-2014, 01:34 PM
Lifer

Blondee whenever I suggested any of those things I was told quite firmly "I was old fashioned" I can understand all the worry about cot death etc,but not to be able to leave them in another room to me seems ridiculous. After all why buy these baby alarms and other fangled objects if there not going to be used to full advantage. I had 4 and had to just "get on with it" mine were outside on a fine day or the pram left under the stairs with them in it on a bad day. I never had a baby monitor,their lungs made up for it. I didn't believe in demand feeding either,but hey ho.Best to let them learn for themselves if they want to make life difficult for themselves.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:40 PM
Lifer

How I looked forward to those 2+ hours in the afternoon when they where small,it gave you time to get the evening meal prepared and any washing brought in from outside and folded ready for ironing that night.I always drew the curtains before I took them into their nursery so it was cool and cosy they where asleep in minutes I never in those days seemed to be behind with anything as those couple of hours where precious.I was lucky as two out of my three never had a problem sleeping.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Lifer

I did the same with the boys put them in there cot or in the middle of our bed with rolled up towels down the side when they were tiny closed the curtains and they slept for good couple hours ( I sometimes had a sleep with them ) it did no harm to my two children or the boys , Sophia sleeps well in her cot on a afternoon too . My SIL used to tip toe around the house talking in whispers when my niece was a baby it irritated me they need to have some noise around them or they become twitchy babies I think jumping at any little noise
blondee, Ragdoll, rosynose and 2 others like this.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:50 PM
Lifer

Gosh isn't it funny how times have changed? I remember one of my DDs seeing a picture of herself in a pram with woolly hat gloves and everything on and she was outside in the garden and she was so shocked, " But Mum, it would be cold " and yes it was a cold sunny day and she was well wrapped up and was fast asleep in the pram. My other DD wouldn't have done it either, only if it was warm then she might have thought about it. I wonder what they both think might happen, we had cat nets and they would be totally safe, other times, I might put them in the cot upstairs or possibly a pram downstairs. They were quite safe, slept fine and always or should I say usually slept well at night as well. It gave me a chance to either rest, or catch up with all the jobs there are always there to do. I think the only difference with my girls is that they wouldn't put their babies outside, but they do put their babies for a sleep. When newborn, in the moses basket in the living room and as they get older upstairs in the cot, with a baby monitor. I just think the times have changed, but, you know what? To me, the only thing that matters is that the babies and children are loved and cared for and that is the most important thing.
blondee, jeangenie, Pimms and 6 others like this.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimms View Post
My SIL used to tip toe around the house talking in whispers when my niece was a baby it irritated me they need to have some noise around them or they become twitchy babies I think jumping at any little noise
Both my DILs put their babies in their cots/cribs to sleep when they were in the house and both had/have monitors.

Pimms - you would have loved to see my DG2 today. When they arrived for lunch she was fast asleep in her car seat - which also has a handle to carry it with. Her daddy put the seat on the kitchen table while 3 excited children greeted each other against the background noise of one of the dogs barking his head off. DG2 slept peacefully through it all.
blondee, Pimms, glammanana and 6 others like this.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:31 PM
Lifer

Says it all then JG doesn't it I just think DIL is a bit na´ve at the mo things will fall into place and its good that she asks, she always starts by saying "You might think this is a daft question but......"
Hope you had a lovely day with your lot
Old 07-04-2014, 09:30 AM

blondee - I suppose we were all naive with our first babies - I certainly was! I didn't even know to ask the questions. Your DIL sounds as though she's thinking things through and anticipating really well. With my teacher's hat on - I always used to tell students that there's no such thing as a daft question, it's just something you want to know/learn.
Pimms, Ragdoll, rosynose and 3 others like this.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Lifer

I agree JG I think because its 2 babies she just wants to have some routine and such
Beth, pilates, Pimms and 4 others like this.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Lifer

OH was born in Germany and used to be put out on the covered veranda even when it snowed. Mine all slept in their prams in the garden most of the year round - always seemed to sleep for longer when they were out in the fresh air.

Probably makes a difference that most young Mums have a car nowadays - DD1 used to be out and about and the boys just slept in the car/pushchair or wherever they happened to be. On the mornings I had them I would put them in the back garden for their sleep and they didn't come to any harm.

When mine were having a daytime nap I would sit and read for the first hour and then catch up with chores if there was any time left over!!

I think we used to have some kind of built in radar instead of baby alarms. I can remember hanging out the washing in the back garden and DD1 woke up in her bedroom at the front of the house and I just somehow knew she was crying. She used to stay up til about 9pm (much to horror of my step-mother and in-laws) but would sleep til 9am - suited us as OH was commuting to London and would never have seen her in the week otherwise - just wish I had the confidence then to ignore the digs from others.
blondee, Pimms, glammanana and 4 others like this.