After last years dreadful weather and lack of butterflies and bees this year has been [...]
Growing Old OutrageouslyCreated by Charlotte in Being You, Learning
Hilary and Liz were two old school friends living on opposite sides of the world when unexpectedly, after thirty-five years, they reconnected.
Discovering that they both loved travelling – the more exotic and far-flung the location, the better – and not having a clue whether they will get along (and realising each other’s well-developed eccentricities could make things even more fraught) the pair embarked on a trial journey to Morocco to see if they could survive the stresses of travelling into the unknown.
They soon discovered their delight in laughing at themselves and each other, and quickly rekindled their friendship.
That tentative beginning turned into – so far – sixteen years worth of wonderful extended holidays, with Hilary and Liz continually circumnavigating the globe. ‘Growing Old Outrageousl’y is their very funny record of those trips, brilliantly encapsulating their quirky personalities, reflecting on their lives before they became wanderers and highlighting their love of food (some recipes included), art, theatre and music.
Destinations visited in the book include Marrakech, Fez and the Atlas Mountains in North Africa, Patagonia and the Galapagos Islands, Istanbul, Cappadocia and Antalya in Turkey, the western isles of Mull and Iona, safaris in South Africa, Namibia, Botswana and the Serengeti plus, music festivals in Naples and Prague and, of course, England and Australia.
Along the way the two life-long friends encouraged, enraged and entertained each other. Hilary took thousands of photographs and Liz wrote copiously in beautiful bound notebooks.
After sixteen years globetrotting together, have they changed as individuals? ‘Certainly,’ says Hil. ‘Not a jot,’ says Liz.
Liz and Hil’s favourite destinations
1. ESSOUIRA - a favorite of Hil’s where we watched the Atlantic Ocean pounding against the brooding ramparts of this Moroccan town and thought of Othello’s jealous rage in the film of Shakespeare’s Othello shot there by Orson Welles.
2. ST PETERSBURG – Liz loves the unforgettably beautiful city with its pink, green and yellow stuccoed palaces set against the northern sky, their reflections dancing on the majestic River Neva.
3. The outback near ALICE SPRINGS where Liz loved the picnic we had of kangaroo tails and honey ants with local Aboriginal ladies, while the strange and hypnotic bush seemed gradually to enclose us.
4. PATAGONIA, TORRES DEL PAINE NATIONAL PARK – Hil was mesmerized by a land of sharp snow-covered mountains and navy blue lakes, where guanacos watched quizzically as Hil rode with a gaucho across the campo, condors resting lazily on the wind currents above.
5. But we both agree that our favourite destination is HOME - Sydney for Hil and London for Liz where after travelling we find we see places, friends and family so much more clearly and lovingly.
Growing Old Outrageously by Hilary Linstead and Elisabeth Davies is published by Allen & Unwin on 4 July 2013, available to buy on Amazon at £6.20.